4:01 PM

Spring Fever


It's 45 degrees outside and I've got a serious case of spring fever. One of the things I've really been looking forward to with our new house is planting a nice vegetable garden. I've never had one before, and I love to garden, so I have been busy reading about the do's and don'ts to creating a great vegetable garden. It seems that adding some nutrient-rich topsoil as well as some compost is of utmost importance. I am interested in doing some of my own composting, but will probably not start that until next year. It seems that raised beds are better because the soil warms quicker and it also provides better drainage. I've mapped out my garden with what I want to plant and where I think the best placement would be. I have read that you should plant your rows north-south, with the tallest plants at the north end to prevent shading other plants. I am counting on Blake to help me make a fence out of chicken wire to help keep the hungry animals out. I also need to come up with a plan to keep insect pests away. Any suggestions on what works well? If anyone has any gardening tips they would like to share, I would love to hear them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've found that planting marigolds in and around the veggies works well.

Liisa said...

Hey, thanks Barry!! I will definitely give that a try. Thank you for the tip.