4:39 PM

Plantar Fasciitis, Runner's Knee and Shinsplints...Oh My!!!


I was getting all fired up to do a 10k, when all of a sudden I developed some annoying lower leg pain. I tried to just run through the discomfort, but after a couple of runs, decided that was not such a good idea. This past week I continued my spin class, but substituted the elliptical for my running. This was bothersome, because I don't feel like I get nearly as good of a workout on the elliptical. I would really, really like to continue the running, so I made an appointment with a physical therapist to find out what can be done about these issues I'm trying to deal with:
Plantar Fasciitis is pain in the bottom of your foot, usually right under your heel. The condition is usually worst in the morning, particularly during the first few steps out of bed. The condition can worsen and eventually become debilitating.
Runner's Knee also known as chondromalacia patellae. Occurs when your kneecap does not track properly, and the underlying cartilage becomes aggravated and begins to degrade.
Overpronation of the foot (caused by an excessive inward roll of the foot during walking and running) can lead to both of these conditions. It can also cause lower leg pain or shinsplints. I'm really hoping that whatever is going on with my lower leg is treatable, and that it's not going to be a big issue. It's just difficult when you are working hard toward something and find out that you're just not going to be able to reach it. (At least, not for right now).

2 comments:

tribabe said...

You need to rest, stretch, and get a sports massage. You can run a 10k anytime Liisa! Seriously, I would prop your legs up and ice them, take some anti-inflammatories (like mega dose for a little while) and slowly ease back into activity. Find yourself an aggressive massage person and start stretching daily. Yoga would be really good for you too.

Part of being as active as you are is managing injury. You better stretch! And get Blake to massage your calves STAT! The more it hurts the better. Take care, I'm going to call you and make sure you are stretching.

Liisa said...

I think I am going to need LOTS and LOTS of massage.... ; )