8:22 PM

A Little Friendly Competition


I'm not really sure what is happening to me... This all started when I joined a gym back in September. I have never belonged to a gym before. I have always found alternative methods of exercise. When I joined, I set up goals, and stayed motivated with new challenges. I was pretty much hooked right from the beginning. I liked feeling stronger, and I liked making a new "personal best." I liked the feeling of being a little sore the next day. But now... often times I feel I must beat the person that is on either the treadmill or the elliptical next to me. This is great for getting a good workout, I've just never seen this side of myself before. There was one guy in particular who always seemed to be on the elliptical at the same time as me. I always had to go faster than him, then he would speed up, and on it went. On the treadmill, I am never satisfied until I am running faster than the person next to me. Yesterday on the elliptical, as I was having one of these little "competitions" the guy next to me was totally supporting his upper body on the bars. So, I'm thinking to myself, "yeah buddy, I can move my legs really fast too if I'm resting half of my weight on the bar!! Wimp!!" Obviously I am not always the winner of my own competition. I don't know if these people are aware I am so intent on outdoing them. Honestly, I hope not. It will be good when Spring arrives. I can go for a run outside, and take an occasional day off from the gym. But, for now, at least I'm getting good exercise. Maybe tomorrow these guys will be at the gym: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NINJQ5LRh-0

0 comments: