6:23 PM

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day


I spent a little time walking through my gardens today, admiring the last of the dahlias, which I will be digging up this coming weekend. Then there are the cosmos and zinnias... I hate to see them go so soon, but they will be dug up as well. It seems that every summer passes by more quickly than the last. As I turn the page on this year's garden, I find myself dreaming about next year. The new additions I'd like to make, and the anticipation of spring blooms. Many of the perennial plants in my garden were newly planted this year, so I am really looking forward to next year, when I can enjoy them once they've gotten a bit of their "oomph!"
Please visit Carol at May Dreams Gardens, where you can link to your post about what's blooming in your own garden getaway on the 15th of every month.This purple beautyberry is one of my most favorite new additions to the garden.

Thankfully the Rudbeckia 'Herbstonne' did not reach a height of 7 ft. this year, or I wouldn't have been able to get this photo without a ladder, or perhaps stilts.

Bees like to take naps, too. This one lingered here for quite some time.
I was hoping this dahlia would get a chance to bloom before a hard frost. So far, we have managed to avoid any frost at all. We must be tucked into the surrounding woods just right. Several mornings last week as I drove down our hill, the landscape below was covered.Another favorite addition is this variegated Sweet Flag.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blooms in your garden this month Liisa. I love that progression of the Dahlia opening. I'm glad you didn't have to get on a ladder or use stilts to take a picture of that fantastic Rudbeckia. What a charmer. Beautyberry is on my list for next year when I hit the Native Plant Sale in our area. Happy GBBD!

Liisa said...

Racquel,

Thanks for visiting!! I just love the Beautyberry...

Happy GBBD to you, as well.

Liisa

Anonymous said...

I like your first photo - such wonderful Autumn colour. The dahlia is lovely too
K

Liisa said...

Karen,
Thanks for visiting, and I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. We got our first frost on Friday night. Good thing I had rescued the dahlia and put it in a bud vase : )
Liisa

Anonymous said...

Your dahlia is divine, and I love beautyberry too. It definitely counts as a bloom at this time of year, doesn't it?

Liisa said...

Pam,
Thanks so much for dropping by!! I think the beautyberry could technically count as a bloom, too. As for the sweet flag, probably not so much, but I have really taken a liking to ornamental grasses this year and thought it should be included. ; )
Liisa

Carol Michel said...

I planted beautyberry for the first time last fall, and I love them now for their color. I count them as blooms, too.

Thanks for joining in for bloom day!

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Liisa said...

Carol,
Thank you so much for visiting, and hosting GBBD!! I have found it's a great way to discover new blogs, as well as get a peek into some wonderful gardens!!
Liisa

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Beautiful photos Liisa especially the one with your 'porch decorations' just the way I like it!

Liisa said...

Tyra,
Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures... I'm a bit of a sucker for fall decorations. : ) I am looking forward to checking out your blog!
Liisa

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!