8:03 PM

Bulb Planting Madness...


Just when I thought I had planted the last of my bulbs, I found a few others that I decided I couldn't possibly live without. It began with an order to McClure and Zimmerman for 3 varieties of allium (schubertii, purple sensation, and atropupureum), 2 varieties of tulips (black parrot and the fringed blue heron), and 3 foxtail lilies (eremerus bungei). Then, I was reading about the art of potting bulbs, as well as forcing bulbs. Elizabeth at Gardening While Intoxicated has some great information on planting, potting, and forcing bulbs. She also makes it sound really easy, I might add. : ) So, as I was reading and learning, I thought "Hey, I can do that!" However, I would definitely need to order some more bulbs!! Another visit to McClure and Zimmerman and Old House Gardens, as well as one or two visits to The Lily Garden, and I have become crazed by the desire for more bulbs. Here are a few of the goodies I found:


'Schoonoord', early, double-white tulip


'Sulfur Queen' Hymenocallis


'Conca d' Or' Orienpet hybrid lily

'Elise' Aurelian hybrid lily
Just one week after planting my tulips, some critter has already discovered the darn things! I found the mangled remains of a tulip bulb sitting on top of the dirt not far from where it was planted. Those crushed shells in the bulb fertilizer seem sort of useless!! Ah, well, hopefully the little bugger doesn't come back for more!!

14 comments:

Sheila said...

They are all beautiful!

tina said...

I have used chicken wire around my bulbs with good luck. Lasts forever and is bad when digging, but no damage. You'll still have a good display though.

Liisa said...

Thank you, Sheila!

Tina, I may just try that. I haven't had a problem with garden pests before, other than a few bugs here and there. I suppose I'll wait and see how it goes this time. If I lose just one more bulb, however, I'm going to chicken wire the bejeezus out of 'em!!

Cindy said...

Your garden is going to look gorgeous in spring. I, too, have heard of using chicken wire to keep the pests out, although I've never had to use it. The deer are my problem come spring. They love tulips!

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

They are all adorable but Schoonoord especially. / LOL Tyra

tina said...

Liisa, I love your saying and have to remember it. I comes thru on the net and I got a chuckle.

Anonymous said...

Those white tulips are spectacular! They look like some kind of ancient Asian drawing of a flower.

I have a critter that digs my bulbs up, too. I'm not sure what it is but I keep finding little freshly-dug holes where my bulbs used to be planted. He dug up a newly-planted peony three times this year! Never ate it, thank goodness, but it sure did frustrate me!

Anonymous said...

I too use chicken wire to keep my roving and digging dog off my small new plants after I plant them! I make small fences around each plant and it works great. It is easily removed when the plants get bigger. The fuzzy pooch loses interest after thay have been there a while I am guessing because the smells are less enticing than in freshly turned soil. :)

Anonymous said...

Those flowers are lovely - I'd really like to see a picture of your pots in bloom. Too bad they aren't blooming now. :-) Good luck with the critters . . . . .

The Intercontinental Gardener said...

Just had to say hello to you as you are my namesake - I spell my first name also with a double i which always triggers the question of where I come from.

Lovely pictures of the landscape in Vermont, the red barns really remind me of Scandinavia.

vermontflowerfarm@outlook.com said...

Hi Liisa;

You are going to love the lily, Conca d'Or... but......think about where you plant it. It will grow to 6 feet tall over time and the stem will look like you need a chain saw to begin fall clean up. The blooms are gigantic and it's a showstopper.

For several years my wife, Gail, actually cut the blooms of a couple in a display garden because everyone that saw them wanted to buy them. We never got the numbers right to keep everyone happy. Not a problem any more as the price has come down and they are easy to obtain.

George Africa
The Vermont Gardener
http://thevermontgardener.blogspot.com
Vermont Gardens
http://vermontgardens.blogspot.com
Vermont Flower Farm
http://vermontflowerfarm.com

Liisa said...

George,
Glad to hear of your success with Conca d'Or... I will begin considering that chain saw!! I am looking forward to seeing it in bloom.
Liisa

Rick Rosenshein said...

Great blog, photos, video and articles. Very informative. Thank you for sharing and keep up the great work. Rick

Liisa said...

Thanks, Rick.

I'm glad you enjoy it. ; ) I am feeling a bit guilty at my blog neglect for the past few weeks, school takes priority at times. Thanks so much for visiting!!

Liisa