2:20 PM

Winter Rye, Wilt Pruf, And The Last Of A Lovely Little Veggie Crop

Yesterday I attended a class called "Putting Your Garden To Bed" which was offered at Gardener's Supply Company in Burlington. Two things I learned:
1.) A cover crop such as winter rye helps to put nutrients back into the soil. In the spring, you can turn over the grass which will add some organic matter. Cover crops also help to prevent soil compaction and erosion. Dirt which has been the home of heavy feeders such as corn, cabbage, lettuce, onions, potatoes, and tomatoes will also benefit from the addition of compost.
2.) I learned about a product called Wilt Pruf, which will help protect evergreens such as rhodies, azaleas, cypress, junipers, and boxwoods from windburn and winter kill. It helps by keeping moisture in the leaves. Best of all, it is totally organic and biodegradable. It is best to apply this product after the first hard frost, when moisture has retreated to the plant's root system. Otherwise, you could have some seriously unhappy plants.
I collected the last of the Corola potatoes today. These were super delicious, easy to grow, and probably Blake's most favorite vegetable to grow. There are a few peppers and tomatoes left on the plants, but they are done for the most part. I have tried several varieties of tomatoes, and still like the Green Zebras the best. Unfortunately, our vegetable garden was feeling a bit neglected this year due to my focus on the front mixed gardens. But, even with a fair amount of neglect, we still did quite well. Now that everything has been cleaned out, the empty dirt makes me feel a little sad. I love the times when you're cooking dinner and can run outside for a fresh pepper or tomato. On the other hand, the empty dirt makes me think about next year: the improvements I'll make and the asparagus bed that will be ready for it's first harvest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Liisa! It's Laura here...can't figure out the google/blogger password thing, so I just decided to post as anonymous for now...

I enjoy reading about your gardening adventures! Next time you guys are out here during the summer, Steve would love to show you his gardens and our yard!
Also, I wanted to recommend the author Barbara Kingsolver. Her books all have a strong naturalistic undertone to them, and I was thinking you might really enjoy her work. Prodigal Summer is a good one, and Poisonwood Bible is my favorite! Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there. Hope all is well with you guys! Happy Fall! :)

Liisa said...

Hey Laura, good to hear from you!! I hope you and Steve are both doing well. I would love to visit your gardens : ) (as well as Washington Park and the Berry Botanic Gardens in Portland, which sound absolutely amazing!!). I will definitely check out the books by Barbara Kingsolver. Hope to see you both sometime soon, and Happy Fall to you, too!!