8:09 PM

Dreams Deferred


For my English Composition class, we had write a 5 paragraph writing sample based on the following poem Harlem (1951) by Langston Hughes. I found the poem to be inspiring. I saw an opportunity to reflect on some of my accomplishments, and think about some of the dreams and desires that I have deferred.

What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
Like a raisin in the Sun?
Or fester like a sore
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over-
like a syrupy sweet
Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load
Or does it explode?

Throughout my life I have had a handful of dreams and goals which have been left unfulfilled. I suppose the outcome depends somewhat on where I am at in my life. Sometimes I feel as though I am in a position to tackle something head-on. Other times it seems easier to say, "well, maybe next year," or "maybe this winter." On occasion, I have also found myself wishing that I had something to tackle, but just couldn't find something "tackle-worthy." This can sometimes lead to discovering something new and exciting that was definitely worth the wait. After reading the poem Harlem by Langston Hughes, I found myself comparing many of the metaphors to my own dreams and goals, reflecting on those which have been fulfilled, and remembering those that haven't.

One line in the poem questions if a dream deferred "sags like a heavy load, or does it explode?" This immediately made me think of my gardening. I have always had an interest in plants, but recently I have felt that it has really become a part of who I am. A short time ago I would visit a nursery and pick out a few things that caught my eye, then bring them home and feel unsure about where I should plant them, or what would look best next to it. I have spent a lot of time over the past couple of years pouring over gardening books, researching different plants, and looking through several designs. I feel as though I now have my own style, and my own plan. I can go outside and look at my garden and smile - there is order and rhythm. I like the way it looks, and I enjoy spending time in it. I feel as though my dream of being a good gardener is taking shape, exploding in a sense.

Maybe it's time to revisit some of the things that I have put off for another day. There's so many things I would like to try. If only I had some more time on my hands....

2 comments:

Gardens by T said...

Hi Liisa,
This is one of my favorite poems and I like how you interpreted it.
I too have decided that my garden will be exactly that, MY GARDEN. It only has to be pleasing to me.
I love your blog and look forward to reading all of your posts.

Liisa said...

T,

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I agree, your garden should be your own little getaway... a place you can get lost in. I am going to go and get lost in your blog now... : )