8:45 PM

Screw The Tomatoes...Let's Talk About Tofu


This time of year, it's pretty much impossible not to notice the overwhelming amount of information about tomatoes. Yeah, they're in season... nothing beats a garden fresh tomato... how to can... how to store... how to ripen... the best heirloom variety... what to do with the insane amount of tomatoes you have sitting inside your refrigerator... blah, blah, blah. Everyone is talking about them, blogging about them, and reading about them. ENOUGH with the tomatoes!!
Back in May of 2007, I took a tofu-making class through Champlain Valley Union High School Access program. (If you're not aware of this program, you should check it out. They offer a little bit of everything.) Well, after an exhaustive search trying to find Nigari (a thickening agent used to make tofu), I pretty much came to the conclusion that it is unavailable in Vermont. I even tried to special order it through several local stores, which either never called me back to inform me whether they could get it, or if they did get it, I never heard about it. ANYWAY, I ordered it online, and finally got around to making a batch of my own. It turned out to be totally delicious. If you have never had homemade or artisan tofu, there is nothing that could compare. You absolutely must try it. It is even delicious raw. Yes, raw. While I love Soy Boy, I don't see myself pulling out a raw block of it and gnawing on it. In fact, the thought of it is kind of nauseating. But, the homemade... mmmmm!! So, move over tomatoes... the tofu may just start taking over the fridge.

1 comments:

Blake said...

REALLY good tofu! Looking forward to another batch soon!!