11:26 AM

September Garden Chores...(think Spring!!)


As many of the perennials in my garden are winding down for the season, I have found pleasure in choosing my spring bulbs, and planning on just where to plant them. This year I chose: three varieties of allium (schubertii, atropurpureum, and purple sensation), two varieties of tulips (black parrot, and the fringed blue heron), and a flaming yellow foxtail lily. I am so looking forward to seeing them in the spring. One aspect of gardening that I have a very difficult time with: patience. If anyone has some extra, please send it my way.

In my bulb-planting research, I have found that it is beneficial at the time of planting to add some bulb-booster (fertilizer) which also contains some crushed shells which will help (hopefully!) in protecting them from hungry critters. This is my first spring-bulb planting experience, so we'll see how it goes. If anyone has any tips, I would be happy to hear of them.

Other than bulbs, there are a few other to-do's for this month:

  • For your perennials and shrubs, give them one more application of fertilizer and give them a good drink of water - this will help them through the winter months.
  • Dig up any tender bulbs such as cannas, gladiolus, and dahlias so that they can be stored for the winter.
  • Allow hips to form on your rose bushes.
  • Leaving seed heads on the rudbeckia and echinacea provides food for the birds. Also, waiting until spring to cut back some of those perennials and ornamental grasses provides some shelter for those feathered friends. This can also help achieve some winter interest in your garden.
  • Perennials that you are cutting back for winter should be cut down after several killing frosts. And, plants should be cut back to within 2-3 inches of the ground.
  • This is also a great time to divide and move perennials.
  • Bring houseplants back indoors.
  • Plant trees and shrubs.
  • Watch out for frost, and cover those tender plants if necessary.
  • Give that compost bin one last turn.

0 comments: