7:58 AM

Fiddleheads


These crazy looking things are called Fiddleheads, well, because they look like the top of a fiddle. In the northeast these are a popular treat in the early spring. Last night I sauteed them with some corn, then topped with a dab of butter and some salt and pepper. Mmmm!! They are quite delicious. Fiddleheads are actually the early stages of a fern plant before they "uncurl" and spread their leaves.
We are getting more settled in the new house. There is lots and lots to do... clearing rocks and branches, planting flowers and I have yet to get my vegetable garden going. We are going to have raised beds, so Blake built the wooden sides last weekend. We need to haul in some compost and topsoil, which we were going to do ourselves, but it rained all last week which means the yard is kind of a muddy mess due to the fact that our grass has not completely come in yet. We did get some rhododendron and lilacs to plant. We have lots of birds and put up several feeders yesterday. Also, the baby chipmunks are running around like crazy. They have little racing stripes down their bodies so they can run really fast.
I have been neglecting my blog the past couple of weeks, and I have no excuse other than we were moving and I was feeling pretty worn out. Well, that and the fact that the dial-up internet connection kind of puts a damper on things. But, things should be up and running once again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greeting from japan!!
I surprised.
Does the American also eat this vegetable?
It eats in Japan.
Japanese name (kogomi).
First of all, boils it.
And, dress (kogomi) with soy sauce and the dried bonito.
I eat kogomi with rice.
Mmmm! It's so good !
See you later.  

Liisa said...

Oh, I am bummed I missed your comment. I am looking forward to preparing some fiddleheads japanese-style!!