7:53 AM

Holy bananas, batman!!


When it comes to gardening, one of the things I love the most is that there is always something new and exciting to be learned or discovered. Despite the cold temperatures (currently it is 15 degrees) and snowy landscape, I am dreaming of a few additions I will be making in the garden come spring. This Ensete Maurelii - Red Abyssinian Banana grows to 10' tall in temperate climates, and the leaves can grow to 10' long. I love the red that appears on new growth as well as underneath the leaves.


Canna 'Panache' is a bit different from other cannas. It's delicate rosy-apricot blooms are orchid-like and great at attracting hummingbirds. Visit the Gardener's Journal for some great information on overwintering both bananas and cannas. It's pretty easy to do, and worthwhile if you want to add some tropicals to your garden, but are lacking the tropical climate. I am also anticipating the arrival of two other additions: my English Rose 'Evelyn,' which bears giant, apricot-colored flowers of a shallow, saucer-like shape, with numerous small petals inter-twined within. And last, but not least, Hypericum moseranum 'Albury Purple,' with the colorful orange-yellow blooms and purple-tinted foliage. I have found the zoning information on this one to be a bit confusing, but I am determined to give it a try.

'Evelyn'
Hypericum moseranum 'Albury Purple'

6 comments:

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hi Liisa, any snow yet? This Hypericum moseranum 'Albury Purple' looks very interesting I wonder if I could grow i here? Do you have it in your garden in Vermont? / Tyra

Anonymous said...

Beautiful blooms, Liisa. I actually like that canna because the blooms are so delicate. Did you know OK is a canna hybridizing and growing state? Your 'Evelyn' is so delicate, and I noticed all of your plants in this post have a similar color theme.~~Dee

Anonymous said...

Isn't it nice to dream about next years garden? I have so many plans for next year, but I don't know how I'll fit them all in!

nilla|utanpunkt said...

Hi, nice to see a post from you again! Bananas are gorgeous, but I have to conceed to the reality that they would have to be indoor plants here. Having said that, you say you have snow, and this red-tinged one would work in temperate zones. Hm, really interesting. I'll be ever so curious to see how it goes.

Liisa said...

Tyra,
We did get some snow, and the temperatures have been unseasonably cold. Thank goodness for fleece, is all I can say. : ) As for the Hypericum, I will be planting it next spring. Most of the information I have found say it's hardy in zones 5-8. I hope it works out here in zone 4, I just love it.

Dee,
I did not know that OK is a canna hybridizing and growing state. I bet there is a wonderful variety to choose from, much more than what is readily available here, anyway. I didn't even realize it until you mentioned it, but there is definitely a similar color theme with these plants, isn't there!!??

Robin,
Yes, I love dreaming about next year's garden. I have a lot of plans, too. I already miss those early morning strolls through the garden, checking to see what is happening and tidying up here and there.

Liisa said...

Camellia,
Thanks! I have neglected my blog a bit - I am in the last few weeks of classes, so my attention has been focused elsewhere. : ) The banana and canna will need to be dug up after the first frost and overwintered in my basement. I just love them, so I am willing to do a little extra work in the fall to enjoy them.